Mould or mildew is a type of fungus that thrives in the UK's damp climate. It loves nothing more than growing on your nice wooden garden furniture. Timber is especially prone to mildew if proper care is not taken to prevent its growth.
And believe me, prevention is your best form of defence. Taking the right measures from the day you purchase the furniture is the way to go. Stopping it from getting damp and routinely cleaning your garden furniture is essential. If its not in use, store it indoors or under a cover. Keep it clean and keep it protected!
However, if Lazy Susan is a little late with this blog post and your wooden furniture is suffering from an outbreak of mould growth, don't fear, just follow our simple guide to removing it and get your garden furniture looking as good as new.
Wooden Garden Furniture
To remove mould from your garden furniture, you'll need some rubber gloves, washing up liquid, a small soft bristle brush, bleach, cloths, a bucket, garden hose, warm water and a good garden furniture cleaner/renovator such as HG or Ronseal Garden Furniture Cleaner.
You need to start by soaking a clean, soft cloth or your soft bristle brush in a solution made of 3 parts warm water and 1 part washing up liquid. Wring the solution from the cloth until almost dry and then wipe the surface of the furniture to remove all the mould from it.
Only clean a small area at a time and immediately follow this up by wiping the area you've cleaned with another cloth soaked in just warm water as this will stop the washing up liquid from discolouring the timber. Use a clean, dry cloth to thoroughly dry the surface and ensure it is completely dry before proceeding to another area.
Clean any mould that has grown into the wood under the finish by gently scrubbing the affected area with a solution made of 5 parts water and 1 part household bleach. Rinse the surface thoroughly with water and dry thoroughly. Do not use bleach on any finished surfaces.
Once you've removed the mould, clean with a good garden furniture cleaner as this will help remove the signs of aging that arise in hardwood thats been exposed to the elements. If you can, leave the cleaned furniture out in the sun for a few hours as this'll help with the natural oxidation process and helps to eliminate the source of mould/mildew.
Check the weather before proceeding with this task as you need to ensure that the day is clear, with very little humidity in the air... You want to eliminate mould, not encourage it to grow, so the furniture needs to dry.
This video from Rachel Yatuzis at greenkleeninc.com has a few great pointers: